The port icebreaker S/S Turso was constructed at the Hietalahti Shipyard of Wärtsilä-yhtymä O/Y for the City of Helsinki in 1944. It is virtually certain that Turso is the last existing Finnish commercial ship handed over to the Soviet Union as war indemnity.
Turso will be the flagship of operative Finnish steam ships. With Helsinki as its base port, the ship is being renovated at Hietalahti. The renovation and reconstruction of the ship provide professionals, education providers and students of various fields with interesting work and learning opportunities.
When reconstructed, the ship will be a real-life, moving steamship museum and of valuable use in the seafaring and steamship heritage programme for young people. Turso will visit various ports in the Baltic Sea region.
The donation sum in 2009 was EUR 175,000.
In 2005-2008 the Foundation’s donations to this project totalled EUR 285,000.