J.H. (Juhana Henrik) Erkko
16.1.1849, Orimattila – 16.11.1906, Tuusula
When deciding who will receive the scholarship, the following issues are emphasized:
– The pupil shows a versatile interest in literature.
– The pupil expresses and acknowledges the significance of literature as a builder of one’s conception of the world.
– The pupil writes original fiction.
– The pupil is able to analyse various fictional texts, both in writing and orally.
– The pupil understands the significance of literature as an art form as well as its significance as a builder of one´s conception of the world, both for him/herself and literature in other branches of culture and science.
Criteria that can be used to evaluate the advancement of pupils in their studies and their hobbies include:
• Literary diploma
• Pupil’s literary portfolio
• Participation in literary competitions
• Published works of fiction
• Active studying of literature at school
• Hobbies outside school
The teaching staff shall decide to whom the scholarship will be awarded based on a proposal drawn up by the pupils’ group counsellors and Finnish and literature teachers.